Thursday 29 October 2015

An interesting marriage proposal...

The first bunch of soldiers left yesterday afternoon. Their departure time was 2.30pm and they arrived at the beach bar at about 10ish and ordered drinks until 2.29pm. They must have all spent their entire wages over the two days but all seemed to have a ball and didn't want to leave. Their banter was limitless and they kept me quite entertained at the bar. They were such a good laugh, I was sad to see them go. The next bunch arrive tomorrow...

Yesterday I was proposed to by a 22 year old married father of three. I was rather touched by this proposal! And compared to my previous day's offer of 'you wanna bedtime story lady?' I feel I've gone up in the world.

I am still struggling to find where I fit into this tropical island. I'm not a young backpacker, I'm not into any water sports, I'm not half of a honeymoon couple and I'm not a laid back retired local. I really am the odd one out here! My days are lazy and long and give me plenty of time to think (probably too much thinking). My evenings are quiet and lonely, I'm not too good at the club scene and have declined the kind offers from some lovely people to take me into town. So I've spent most evenings trying to write my book. It's all a bit jumbled up at the moment kind of like a jigsaw that I will eventually piece together. But I am really enjoying writing it, and reliving some amazing memories...




7 comments:

  1. It is weird being the single person at a resort, know the feeling. I enjoy the solitude in the evening though writing and reflecting with a decent bottle of some thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I write in blocks, short bursts and don't particularly worry about flow, not at the start, that comes later. I hope you don't let the solitude get under your skin as this is a wonderfull period in your life that you will look back on one day and feel a real sense of achievement .x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your advice Peter, thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just hang and enjoy the moments. XX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nikki, it's been raining non stop for the last couple of days here in Greater Manchester, enjoy the lovely blue sky, blue sea & sunshine. The photo of you wearing the ankle mosquito bracelet made me laugh, you do look like you're on tag. Keep having fun. Love from Pat & Jake my dog. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's all about the fun Pat :) xx

    ReplyDelete