Saturday 30 April 2016

If hotels were an option...

This being unwell is seriously getting me down. I swear I've cracked a rib with all this coughing. I'm now hobbling round like an eighty year old woman. It's really interfering with my journey. The roads I'm travelling on are so bumpy and bendy it's a real struggle in the Beast with poor suspension and no power steering. I don't think we ever appreciate good health until it temporarily leaves us. Well I'm going to welcome it back with open arms!

I'm now confused as to where I've been of late. I think we did one night at the Hungry Hill campsite and then travelled about 15 minutes down the road to another campsite in Castletownsbere. The town was a bit dismal but the site, on a golf course was ok. I treated myself to some steak mince from the local butcher and have had mince and mash two nights running, delicious (Milo agrees).

What with feeling, and looking, pretty rough I've very much hidden myself away the last few days. I was starting to feel a bit downhearted until I drove over the Healy Pass. Wow, it was stunning. I took some good photos and the sun was beating down. We only seemed to come across a few sheep and one other car. I did have to stay in second gear for most of it.  Then we followed the coast road and came across a gorgeous little bay, Derrynane. We practically had three beaches all to ourself. We wildcamped there last night, it was so peaceful. What amazes me the most here is the night sky. I didn't appreciate how many stars there actually are. As there is no light pollution it's a pretty stunning sight. I did try to take a photo but it was just black.

I've just had a thought. I wonder if I've lost my voice? as I haven't spoken to anyone for a few days. Actually that's not true as I do tend to speak to Milo on a regular basis, poor little fella.
Every time I pass a posh hotel I'm so tempted to book a room. Just to take a bath, wash and blow dry my hair, eat a meal at a table, dress and undress without falling over, sleep in a bed on ground level, oh the list is endless...

Golf club campsite...


Healy Pass...

Derrynane...


9 comments:

  1. Lovely photos Nicci, hope you're soon feeling much better. Love from Pat & Jake. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat, feeling better of late xx

      Delete
  2. Keep the spirits up Nicci. Maybe you would be as well to park up for a few days and rest unless your running to a schedule. you sound like you need to rejuvenate a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Killarney is a bit tacky, touristy but the lakes are wonderful and you really must drive through the Gap of Dunloe. You will not be disappointed. Looks like you whizzed by Kenmare which is a nice little town. To meet the locals, you really have to go inside the pub even just for a coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Killarney has a huge Tesco superstore if you want to stock up on anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And no doubt an overhead barrier like all the other stores I can't stop a! :(

      Delete
  5. Look after yourself Nicci. Pull in somewhere nice & rest up xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks Ian, am feeling better than I was now X

      Delete