Saturday 23 April 2016

It's all in a name...

Our 'safe nights Ireland' house was lovely, in Rosscarberry. It was like a piece of Battenberg cake, all pink and pretty. Although when we arrived there was no one home so we sat on the drive like squatters! The lady of the house welcomed us with open arms and surely did provide a safe night. In the morning we headed down to Warren beach. It was wet and windy but we made the most of it.

After that we seemed to be driving forever. We got lost numerous times and I think we passed the same funeral three times. When I see a convoy of cars behind me (obviously not funeral procession!) I try to pull over so they can overtake me, and that's usually when I loose my bearings. We ended up some very bumpy narrow lanes and made a few three (more like ten) point turns. Eventually we ended up in a place called Union Hall and I wandered to the nearest pub and sat down for a coffee. Still not had my Guinness yet, have to wait for a non driving day. I got chatting to an intriuging gentleman who gave me some good places to visit. He said if I mentioned his name it would go down rather well. I've yet to try that but I will.

Last night we wild camped in a little place called Tragumna. We were right on the beach in a little bay. I didn't notice the 'no over night camping' sign until I was looking for a bin in the morning. So may I take this opportunity to apologise to the residents. My main struggle in Ireland is there are so few places to stop. I've seen so many photo opportunities but had to keep driving. All the stopping places have height barriers on them. And there's no such thing as lay-bys. Such a shame.

Today we walked through the town of Skibbereen. I counted in total seven abandon shopping trolleys. Just casually left outside people's houses. Maybe they put their coin in and rent them for the foreseeable!

Tonight we're pitched up near Skibbereen next to a lovely couple, and the lady is a tour guide by
profession...

Our safe night house...


Wet and windy...

Scary bridge near Union Hall...

Tragumna...



5 comments:

  1. That's something that annoyed me when I drove around Ireland. No laybys. Nowhere to stop and admire the view....there is a great cafe in Skibereen in a converted church. Check it out. Most people will know it. Great atmosphere and loads of characters. Suggest you head for Baltimore and go over to Sherkin Island. Ask for Mags Murphy and tell her you know me from facebook!!!! From there meander up the west coast but do check out Castletownbear and especially Eiries. Stop there for a few Guinesses in the one and only pub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that cafe yesterday, but had already had coffee! Thanks for the advice Des, much appreciated. I am in touch with Janet :)

      Delete
  2. If you do get to Castletownbeare, ask if Roaring Tom is still alive! Don't forget to call in on Janet in Dingle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will love Dingle. But dont forget to come back to county waterford and I will give you a great tour with free parking and lovely views

    ReplyDelete