Monday 25 April 2016

When hitchhikers become friends...

Yesterday we left Skibbereen and headed towards Baltimore. On the road I saw a young girl hitchhiking and decided to stop. What a great decision that turned out to be. The lovely Roisin a local girl living on Sherkin Island and working in the Jolly Roger pub. On approaching Baltimore she casually asked me if I'd like to stop in the bushes and have a drink?! Oh I thought, must be a local custom, probably more Milos thing than mine. Fortunately the Bushee was a local pub! 

I was then introduced to Mark and Lorraine and Milo got to eat their left over breakfast. Lovely people. That evening I headed to Jacobs Bar to listen to the live music, but unfortunately I arrived too late. 

This morning, having wild camped on a quiet spot on the harbour road, Milo and I took the ferry over to Sherkin Island. I had intended to try a whale trip with local man Nic Slocum,
but sadly my funds didn't stretch and it was too long a day to leave Milo alone. Our ferry trip proved to be a good choice. The island is so peaceful, I think we walked most of it. Nearly fell asleep on our own private beach, and actually got sunburnt. 

I then spent the afternoon with Mark at the harbour drinking my first Murphys, popular here as opposed to Guinness. I must say I did rather like it (thank you Pat for the drink!). I feel quite at home here in Baltimore and will stop tonight too, if only to nurse (hide) my burnt face...

6 comments:

  1. It's a different world out there isn't it Nicci? Calmer, the way the Irish have sorted life out. You look 'rested' girl.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great your enjoying your trip and meeting locals. Looks lovely. Hope Milo is enjoying it too

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you made it to Baltimore and Sherkin Island. I'll tell Mags Murphy to look out for you. The hitchhiker girl probably knows her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hitch hiker girl was a distant relative! I didn't get to meet her tho X

      Delete