Saturday 8 August 2015

The Mountain Goat Beast...

Can't believe I've been travelling for over a month now.  I would recommend this experience to anyone.  I think I've only had a handful of down moments, which in my previous 'life' would have been so many more. And a down moment usually consists of spilt coffee or a wet dog, not too much to complain about!

Found a little second hand book shop in the village this morning and got myself two more reads.  My usual choice of a gruesome murder, keeping my imagination active when wild camping!

Above was written Friday morning, it is now Saturday afternoon.  (Alas no signal)
I spent the night in the middle of absolutely nowhere! Possibly near Ardheslaig? We shared the mountainside with some random sheep and just utter silence. I was actually a bit scared and started imagining all sorts of murder scenarios! So I decided to sleep 'downstairs' with Milo and the hammer, wearing my escape clothes under my dressing gown and pointing the van in escape mode getaway...!
I slept relatively well considering.  We hit the road about 9ish and just seemed to keep on driving.  We headed toward Applecross, and after checking the map and noting that the road ended after that (having been caught out at Redpoint yesterday and having to do a crazy three point turn) we hooked a left toward Loch Carron.

Sadly that left took us up the scariest mountain I've ever seen.  There were plenty of 'snow' warnings but none to the steepness and narrowness of the winding road. We basically crawled to the top in first gear and felt a bit like a mountain goat!  The worst bit was trying to pass other large motor vehicles on the cliff edge, pulling in wing mirror, breathing in and not looking down.  I swear Milo put his paws over his eyes! The top view was stunning if a bit windy, got blown over trying to photo.  I also managed to get some phone reception up there.  If I thought going up was scary it was worse going down! Never been so scared in my life and knowing the only alternative was to live on the top of the  mountain forever...!











No comments:

Post a Comment