Monday 10 August 2015

Campsite neighbours...

Funny, I used to think luxury was a five star hotel, nowadays it's a campsite with a half decent shower!  Having just spent the last 3 nights wild camping I'm splashing out tonight at the Torvaig site in Portree Isle of Skye. I've got electric, water, laundry, hot showers and wifi! Although I am may be regretting not paying for the tumble drier... (See photo!) but having got electric my hairdryer will run all night!

Having safely got off the mountain on Saturday I stupidly took a wrong turn and had to backtrack for an hour, then I seemed to be driving forever trying to find a 'non murderous' spot to wild camp. I eventually found a lovely quiet picnic spot near Kyle of Lochalsh (another cliff edge but plenty of trees to break my fall) and settled down.  During the evening many other people followed my example and I woke up to a make shift campsite! One large motorhome had blocked me in and I had to wait for him to leave.  We left our spot and headed for the bridge to Isle of Skye.  Just before we crossed the bridge I purchased petrol at £1.23 thinking it would be even dearer on Skye, no first garage on Skye was charging £1.15!

I'm pretty sure Skye is very scenic but sadly it has piddled down ever since we got here. We headed for a known campsite in Carbost and it was full, the lady recommended the whisky distillery car park or the cemetery.  We chose the latter.  You may be led to believe I would be scared of the dead people, but no, I was more scared of the big cows in the field next to me! They eyeballed me all night, mooing constantly.

This morning my gas bottle ran out, before I had made my coffee! Anyone who knows me knows I 'need' my coffee! So at 8am we were driving around looking for gas.  I also had no idea how to purchase gas so had to drive miles out my way to a supplier to do it for me.  He then informed me my empty bottle was 'illegal' and couldn't be swopped. So I had to lay out nearly seventy pounds for a
new one and drive to a tip to dispose of the other!

Anyway we are fed, cleaned and dry so settling down for the night now and count my midgy bites...

Chinese laundry




Cliff site Kyle of Lochalsh






Bridge to Isle of Skye



Campsite neighbours




No comments:

Post a Comment