Thursday 27 August 2015

Melted wellies...

This morning Mr P and I built a washing line, well we assembled one with some rather dodgy instructions with help from others.  In total it took four of us about an hour but we are all now rather pleased with ourselves. We even, for some unknown reason, have a viewing chair for said washing line!

Then this afternoon I had the great pleasure of going onto the moors to hawk.  A first for me and my female companion, and no doubt we won't be asked to return! It was an intriguing experience and I was rather kindly (or not) supplied with a midgy hat.

Basically for those who don't know (me included) we drive for miles over rugged moorland until we find a suitable spot then we all get out the vehicles and let the dogs off.  They run around looking rather excited and then stop and point, literally, hence Pointer dogs :) Then we let the Hawk off the glove, hopefully with a fully functioning transmitor, and watch it fly off and above. Then the hawking man jumps up and down shouting out loud until the grouse jump up out of the heather. And that's when the hawk swoops down to catch the grouse.  I do apologise for my rather ignorant description of this process! But it was really interesting, until I fell over in the bog, nearly lost a welly and got soaked in a downpour of rain.

We then all returned to the cottage and had beer and chocolate biscuits.  But I stood too close to the fire and sadly melted my wellies.  Off to bed now, big day tomorrow preparing to host the annual hawking dinner tomorrow evening at the Big house, alcohol included...!








No comments:

Post a Comment