Wednesday 5 August 2015

The fish van...

For anyone out there thinking my adventure is all a bed of roses... It ain't! Had a rather depressing 48 hours with one thing and another.

Sunday night in Kinlochbervie was scary, there was a terrible storm and I had stupidly parked 6 foot away from a cliff! Woke at 4 am rocking and rolling! And now realised what the sign 'storm refuge parking' meant!
Monday morning I decided to use the site shower and laundry facilities... Only 1 mile away in the fishing harbour, rather strong smell of fish and full of Captain Birdseye lookalikes! But needs must.

Continued our travels along the west coast picking up another hitchhiker, Martin from Germany.  He was a bit boring so we dumped him in Lochinver. We travelled for another few miles then decided to wild camp next to a beautiful fast flowing river.  That was fine until about 2 am at which point I wanted to scream 'turn that blooming river off'! We left that spot (which I don't actually know it's name, possibly near Inverkirkaid) early morning and took a rather scenic route on the A835 towards Ullapool, passing Martin the hitchhiker on the way! Gave him a friendly wave!

Ullapool seemed nice so we booked into a campsite on the shore.  Bad move.  Milo found some kind of dead animal on the beach and ate it :( even worse he brought it all back up some hours later on the carpet, twice!  I now have a van that stinks of rotten fish.  Oh and he rolled in the dead fish before he ate it so he stinks too! Also it rained all afternoon and we were stuck in the van most of the day, and I had bought fish cakes for my tea :(  The site had advertised wifi, but oh no, not where I happened to park. I walked to two local pubs last night and still couldn't get on the wifi so gave up and returned to van to read my book and absorb the aroma of fish...!

I am a little happier now, the sun is shining in Aultbea.  Am in the Aultbea hotel enjoying a coffee
with some new friends who have invited me to a ceilidh this evening...!

Shower facilities!




Too close to edge!






A835


New friends

No comments:

Post a Comment