Sunday 29 January 2017

Where the heck am I...

This weekend there were four teenage Le Garçons in the house so I took this as a sign to go exploring in the Beast. The Beast has been tucked up and was raring to go. We didn't go far, just about an hour away in Alecon. It's a beautiful place with some lovely architecture. I parked up in the centre and observed the buildings. I couldn't quite figure out what the large building in front of me was and was sure the men outside were religious. Curiosity got the better of me and I approached them and asked. They told me it was a court house and that they were lawyers. My word they were well dressed lawyers. And smoking in uniform. Somehow the French manage to make smoking look sexy.

I sat in a few coffee shops and did my favourite pastime, people watching. I must say the French people do dress well. It's all quite chic and tapered with attention to detail, be it a coordinated scarf  or a fancy hat. The town centre was pretty quiet so I walked the whole of it with Milo, which took ages as he wanted to sniff every corner. We only got lost once which was good going for me. It seems to be that every coffee I ordered came with a little kinder sweetie, nice.

All the campsites in France seem to be closed until at least March. I did find one in Alencon, but it too was closed. But it had a couple of bays outside the site with access to free water and electricity, bonus. And I was able to sneak into the campsite and walk Milo so not all bad. Frustratingly in France there is little, if none, free wifi. Even when I can see it on my settings they won't give you a password. But it was enjoyable being off grid for the weekend, finished reading my book and got some writing done. Slept like a baby too, although on awakening did have that split second 'where the heck am I?'...

Maybe I should dress like the girl behind me...


Not priests, just my lawyer friends...


If I looked like a giraffe...


Kinder treats...


Parked up...

Parking the right side of the law... 

8 comments:

  1. In France, for WiFi, I always go to McDonalds. There are loads of them and you can sit for hours over a coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like I'll be having lots of Happy Meals then lol

      Delete
  2. Hi Nicci,

    After more than a year of dithering about it, I'm finally about to set off on my own motorhome adventure with my beagle. All your stories, adventures and advice that we should "never give up on our dream" have helped to spur me into action. So a big thank you! You can follow us at voyageofthebeagle.co.uk

    Any advice/tips would be much appreciated. If I worry too much about everything that could go wrong then I'll never get started. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ann how wonderful! You won't regret this, even on the 'down' days. You will probably question your sanity on a daily basis and then just move on haha. Best of luck to you, hopefully we can meet up at some point.
      Best tip: before driving check, check again and check again all is secure, I've had many breakages/spillages/etc when driving off! X

      Delete
  3. Your Ann friend and yourself Nicci are awakening the travel bug..as you know I've driven to South of Spain 3 times....just myself and Tara. (Doggie) ....Heaven. but with lots of crazy moments
    Love your blog
    Hope to meet again sometime
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your funny Spanish stories Ann! Hopefully we will meet up again, am sure we've both got lots more stories between us ;)

      Delete
  4. I'd love it if all 3 of us could meet up. Nicci I thought I'd followed your advice about securing everything before driving but crossing into Wales I braked too sharply at the Severn Bridge toll booth and a plastic box - carefully packed with various breakables - came crashing down. Now I've lost my cafetiere and wine glass - 2 of my most valuable possessions :( x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, crucial items lost there! I still even now hear a random crash when manoeuvring bends/hills/speed bumps etc :)

      Delete