Saturday 14 January 2017

Eventually arriving in France...

What a turbulent two days I've had. I awoke on Friday 13th to a blanket of snow at the campsite. Milo bounced around like a little lamb loving it. Sadly the Beast didn't. I just couldn't start the engine even with the campsite manager trying to help me. So I had to call out the RAC man, again. And yet again he was lovely (different man). He eventually got my engine running but was quite concerned about my alternator not properly working. He advised me not to drive to France with it so made some calls and then we followed him to a recommended garage for necessary repairs. The necessary repairs  have left a massive hole in my budget and brought tears to my eyes handing over my credit card. It was not a pleasant experience at the garage but that's another story. I missed about four channel crossings and had to be rebooked each time. Dover centre had a huge one way system and various diversions to confuse my satnav. All in all an unpleasant day.

I eventually caught an early evening crossing to France. The train in the tunnel is a weird experience. I think Milo was baffled that we were moving but I was sitting in the back with him. I just tried not to think of all that water above us. The roads in France are a pleasure to drive on and I think I did rather well for a first timer. I did cause a bit of chaos at the first toll as I wasn't quite in line with the machine so couldn't get a ticket. I eventually reached my campsite Camping Bal Caravan Club Site, near Calais late in the evening (I forgot about the hour difference) so it was pitch black. Straight to bed we went and slept like logs...

Milo loving the snow...




Boarding the train...   



In the Beast, on the train, under the water... 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great photos Nicci, glad to hear you got the Beast repaired (expensive but worth it) Have lots of fun meeting new people. Love from Pat & Jake. x

    ReplyDelete