Wednesday 14 June 2017

We made it to Rome...

We made it to Rome! I don't think anyone believed we would taking into account all the problems we've had with the car. But we limped it. We left Edinburgh ten days ago following 41 other cars and basically lost them all on day two. I think on average we broke down every two hours.

This road trip has been rather different to what I expected. I didn't expect to be a back seat driver for the whole trip (too temperamental for me to handle!). I didn't expect to visit so many hard shoulders/service stations. I didn't expect to see the bonnet raised so often. I didn't expect to live and breathe with the same three people for ten days. But then again I didn't  expect to revisit my favourite Como, eat Carbonnara in Florence and drink champagne on a rooftop overlooking Rome. The boys have been great, they never once got grumpy about the breakdowns and treated me as part of the team all the way. The money raised for Northern Lights children's charity has far exceeded the target. A big shout out to all those who donated to such a worthy cause.

We eventually caught up with the other teams at a campsite in Rome. Most were shocked to see us but welcomed us with open arms. I think everyone has had a great adventure in one way or another. Today the boys have started the long journey driving home. I've bailed out and got a flight booked back to the uk this evening. Less weight in the car for them! Yesterday we did a tour of Rome and I got to throw my coin in the Trevi fountain. I made a wish. I may well be wishing above my station but I'll never give up on my dream...

We made it...




Catching up with the teams... 


Bus tour of Rome... 


Making my wish... 


Maybe he heard my wish... 

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great time when you arrived in Rome. More wonderful memories to treasure. Milo will be waiting to greet you & welcome you home. Well done Nicci. Love from Pat & Jake.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huge congratulations! Can't wait to hear about your next adventure. I'm sure that coin will do the trick x

    ReplyDelete