Sunday 11 June 2017

France to Switzerland to Italy in a day...

We left France on Saturday morning and optimistically headed for Switzerland. We did really well and didn't breakdown again in France. But we did when we crossed the border into Switzerland. The view from the hard shoulder was rather stunning, I felt like Heidi sitting on the grass verge. I keyed in a local garage into the satnav and after climbing a pretty steep mountain we reached the most spotless and efficient garage so far. A very friendly Volkswagen mechanic filled us up with some 'pink' water and 'hoovered' the overheated water pump. All quite girly. My girly motto from the beginning has been 'if a light appears on the dash just ignore it until the car dies'... We left this garage and only overheated once, or was it twice more?, driving through Switzerland. And then before I knew it we were in Italy! Home of my Italian Stallion?

I think we were heading for Rome at this point, our final destination. But somehow we ended up in Como, which was no bad thing. Our hotel was a bit isolated but lovely and served the best breakfast so far. We left Como yesterday once again heading for Rome and once again overheating. This time we ended up in Florence and our copilot directed us up the steepest mountain to a village called Fiesole. We drove through streets that I swear were footpaths but our driver handled it all admirably. Last night I got to eat my favourite Carbonnara and do some people watching at a pavement cafe in the square.

Today we are again heading for Rome, with a pit stop at a garage for some K seal (see I know the terminology now!) where we will hopefully reunite with the rust2rome team in time for the finale party. I may yet get to wear my LBD. I may yet meet my Italian Stallion...

Roadside Switzerland...


Pink water and a Hoover...


My attempt at fixing...


Breakfast in Como...


Carbonnara in Fiesole... 


Is that an Itallian stallion behind me...


Looking down at Florence...


People watching...

No comments:

Post a Comment