Tuesday 28 February 2017

Nearly a very expensive toll charge...

Milo and me have just returned from a few days exploring in the Beast. Can't say the weather was in our favour, it pretty much rained constantly added with Milo jumping in one river and two ponds thus providing us with a rather soggy van. But never the less we enjoyed ourselves. Although I must say I think France is 'closed'. Every town and village we visited was void of people and most shops or restaurants were closed. It seems the only hive of activity is in the bakers. They're on every corner and if you ever do see a person you can guarantee they'll have a baguette under their arm.

I was convinced when I arrived in France I would spend many sunny afternoons sitting in pavement cafes sipping proper French Latte, being amorously observed by handsome French men wearing berets. Today I sat in McDonald's with a happy meal surrounded by school children. But bonus was free wifi.

Our weekend was spent parked on the rivers edge in La Suze sur Sarthe. A very picturesque village albeit quiet. I did originally think I had the whole area to myself but a whole bunch of other motor homes soon parked up beside us. We spent our days walking by the river, reading, writing and cooking. Early mornings and early nights pure peace and quiet. Except for the church bells, they do love their church bells in France.

On our journey there I managed to set the satnav to avoid toll roads. Unfortunately on my return I found myself at a dreaded toll booth. For some reason my ticket kept popping back out the machine and standing in the pouring rain aware of the queue behind me I eventually pressed the help button. The usual language barrier ensued and when she asked me where I had come from I carefully planned my reply "Liverpool" I said, knowing full well that people very rarely knew where The Wirral was. Duh! Blonde moment. They obviously meant where had I joined the motorway not where I was born...

MiloandMe off on our road trip...


Our peaceful location in La Suze Sur Sarthe...


Neighbours...


Lazy Sunday's... 


Just two of many bakeries...

2 comments:

  1. Great photos yet again Nikki, i don't think you'll have any problem finding a publisher for your book because reading your blog you come across as an accomplished writer, interesting, funny & witty. Soooo looking forward to reading it. Love from Pat & Jake.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Pat that's so lovely to hear, I just love writing :)

      Delete