Saturday 18 February 2017

An American Werewolf in France...

Last night I decided to take myself on a night out. I'd remembered Climon telling me they had music in his jazz bar so I planned to head there. I think it's an age thing but as it got nearer to evening all I wanted to do was put my jammies on and go to bed. I actually had to force myself to go out. It's really hard walking into a bar on your own, especially not speaking the language. I pep talked myself on the drive there convincing myself this was all perfectly OK. I parked the Beast up in an appropriate getaway spot and walked towards the bar. Not before, when opening the door, dropping my mobile phone under the Beast and having to get a kitchen utensil to crawl underneath to try reach it! Hoping nobody saw me I confidently strutted down the street. I approached the bar from behind another building surveying the clientele. Unfortunately it had frosted windows and I probably looked like I was casing the joint. So I bit the bullet and just walked in. It was like that scene from American Werewolf in London, when they walk into the pub on the moors. Everyone turned round and looked at me but didn't say anything. I spotted Climon behind the bar and in my nervousness said Bonjour Lemon (a word association I'd used to remember his name) and ordered a small beer. After nursing my beer for as long as I could muster and casually reading all the posters on the wall I didn't quite know what to do. There didn't appear to be any music playing and I couldn't even listen in on others conversations. So I took the remainder of my beer and sat outside to finish. Then I made a discreet exit and headed home.

I am slightly impressed that I did walk into the bar and am confident I will do it again.

This morning I headed to Mortagne au Perche market for a little mooch. Seemed to be mainly fruit and veg and strangely lots of mattresses. I then found another good coffee stop and even got free wifi, that's a first. Tonight I'm cooking myself spagbol and have got me a 3 litre box of wine for five euros, sweet dreams...

How I used to be on a night out!...


Me casing the joint...


The rather quiet market, joking...

2 comments: