Tuesday 28 March 2017

My tiresome midlife crisis...

I found a lovely little spot to camp locally this weekend and it was free. Add to that a mini heatwave and a lake for Milo equals good weekend for us both. The only mishap occurred when some kind of leaf landed on the van roof. It appeared to be one of those helicopter type leaves, sycamore I think. Anyway it sounded like a glass marble on a tin roof that I would have been unable to sleep through. So I climbed onto my folding stool, with a kitchen utensil in hand and poked my head out the kitchen sky light. I spotted the little blighter straight away and as I tried to reach for it with the spatulas an old gentleman wandered past, just at the same time as the stool leg snapped. I yelped out loud and hung onto the sky light with my legs dangling. The old man looked up and I'm sure I looked like some kind of mere cat in a zoo peering out at him. He gestured Bonjour and walked on by. Mean time I'm nursing a few broken finger nails. But I did manage to remove the leaf.

I've now decided to return to the UK. I've come to a decision that I'm having a midlife crisis and it has to end. I've been wandering around for nearly two years now and I'm tired. Tired of living out of suitcases or borrowed drawers. Tired of being a constant visitor everywhere I go. Tired of worrying how to fund myself. Tired of trying to figure out what it is I'm trying to figure out. And I'm tired of feeling tired. I've all but given up on finding the man of my dreams but I have come to realise that it's not as important as I first thought. I've had so much fun looking and if I'd found him on day one I'd have missed out on a whole big adventure. I've absolutely no regrets of what I've done on my adventure and wouldn't change any of it. But I feel it's time to stop for a moment, stand still and reflect. And then start the next chapter of my life...

Me, Angel of the North...


My broken stool...


Happy Milo...


Me as usual sitting alone on a rock...

10 comments:

  1. Hi Nikki, i agree with you that if you had found Mr Right too soon you & Milo would have missed out on the wonderful places you've been to & all the people you met along the way, maybe the time is right for you to relax in comfort now & concentrate on finishing your book & hopefully reap the rewards of your writing. Love from Pat & Jake.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat & Jake, it's comments like yours that have kept me going all this time. But yes need to finish this book and stop adding more chapters lol xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Nicci You have lasted well. Im sure that you will find peace of mind and soul and perhaps a feeling of being settled somewhere will bring with it a Mr Right just when you have accepted that he dosent exist. Thank you or sharing your two year lifes journey it has been a pleasure to follow. Do stay in touch as the farm is on the market this yar and I have no idea what Im going to do when its sold.But all animals have gone and my 14 yr old cat dissapeared end of last year too he was the last thing holding me here. Take care and the very best of luck to you and Milo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks Maggie and thank you for all your sound advice over time. Hopefully we will get to meet up one day :) xx

      Delete
  3. I think you're amazing for having lasted so long in your vagabond life. I'm only 6 weeks into mine and, as you predicted, have had lots of down days when I've longed to return to some kind of normality. Anyway, thank you for blazing a trail and inspiring people like me to take the plunge. Even if I give it up tomorrow - I won't regret having given it a go and that's partly thanks to you. Good luck in whatever the future holds. BTW I'm near Liverpool now - are you likely to be there soon? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ann that's so lovely to hear, I've never really thought of myself as inspiring, more like crazy! I do hope your journey continues with more ups than downs :) If you're still near Liverpool over the next couple of weeks it would be lovely to meet up xx

      Delete
  4. Ah Nicci, I will miss your updates.I often wondered how you managed to keep going. Hope you and Milo will find a nice place to settle, but i doubt you will stay still too long. Good luck anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's so nice, I'll keep you updated no doubt :)

      Delete
  5. Never met you but followed your blog from afar (Edinburgh). Loved it and best of luck with your next adventure.
    Gillian X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks Gillian, I do wonder sometimes who's reading my blog! I have many happy memories of Edinburgh :)

      Delete